Although the current owners of L B & J Mather Ltd took over the company in 1979 the history of the company can be traced back to the 17th century where a few records still survive.
More detailed records of the company exist from the 19th century when the blacksmiths’ workshop still used today was owned by Robert Handley.
Samuel Bower Alvey, an experienced blacksmith who previously worked for his father in South Normanton, took over the business after Robert Handley retired in the 1860s. Samuel died in 1916 and his son Samuel Bricknall Alvey then became the owner.
The business was sold to two brothers from Ashbourne, Leonard and John Mather, in 1949 and from here on known as “Mathers”. At the time of the Mather brothers’ retirement the business was also carrying out agricultural building work as well as blacksmith work.
In 1979 the business was taken over by the current owners G Robert and David Beckett who were previously employed by the company. At this time the company was called “Mathers Engineering”.
In the 1990s plumbing work was first carried out and in 2005 joiners were employed for the first time. It was also in 2005 that the business became a private limited company and was renamed “L B & J Mather Ltd”.
In 2007 storage sheds next to the metal workshop were converted into a fully equipped joiners’ workshop and in 2009 linseed oil dipping facilities were installed.